For part 3 of our “Before You List Anything” series, we’re going to give you some general tips on making your home look more attractive for photos and showings!
· Pressure wash (house, driveway, sidewalk & fence)
· Repaint or clean the front door.
· Place flowering plants in pots at the front.
· Remove anything in the yard that doesn’t belong.
· Spruce up the mailbox.
· Dust, mop, vacuum and scrub like you’re getting paid for it, because you will be!
· Remove clutter & keep surfaces clear.
· Tidy the toys!
· Clean fridge, oven, microwave & dishwasher.
· Clean ceiling fans and ceilings above them.
· Clean drapes and blinds.
· Clean pool & spa.
· Clean porch and patio furniture.
· Don’t forget the fireplace and chimney.
· Replace light switch and outlet plates for a fresh clean look, and clean baseboards to match.
FIX IT! (Keep all receipts.)
· Fix doors that don’t work, and gates that don’t latch.
· Replace all smoke detector and alarm system batteries.
· Change all light bulbs.
· Fix annoying plumbing & electrical issues.
· Replace old bathroom exhaust fans with new ones.
· Make sure the doorbell works.
· Service your air conditioner(s).
· Clean your dryer vent.
· If you have the money, before listing, hire a professional inspector to inspect the home for issues and fix as many as you can before listing. Often these items can be fixed competently by a handyman, but once you are in contract, repairs must often be performed by a licensed contractor, which can be costly or hard to arrange at the last minute!
· Kitchen drawers and cabinets
MAKE IT USER-FRIENDLY
· Label light switches & breaker box switches.
· Make a features list & include recent renovations.
· Figure out where pets will be during showings
· Make sure you know where sensitive personal items like paperwork can be tucked away quickly so that your personal information is out of sight during showings.
· Address the smell - Light candles use air freshener
If you have the money
· Get an appraisal
· Get a home inspection
· Get a termite inspection
We hope this series was able to give you an idea of what goes into listing a property. For more information, be sure to follow us on Instagram here, and check back every week for new blog posts!